To : Police Station
Car Catches Fire Along Jalan Arkid
On 27th March 2011, I saw a car catch fire along Jalan Arkid. The road was
quite busy but traffic was moving smoothly despite the congestion. It was one
o'clock in the afternoon. I noticed a bright yellow Proton Saga in the distance.
It had its high beams on, which was strange.
Many motorists began to honk impatiently at him because he was going rather
slowly. However, the motorist in the yellow Proton Saga (registration ARR 1234)
did not seem to be bothered by the honking. He continued going slower and slower
until he finally came to a complete halt just along the side of the road near
As I was waiting at the bus stop just a few meters away, I was able to observe
the driver. He seemed preoccupied. I thought he was looking for something.
Suddenly, I heard someone yell and point at the car. There was smoke rising from
under the bonnet. Before we could do anything, the car burst into flames. We saw
the driver unsuccessfully try to open the car door. He became
frantic. He was shouting as he pounded on
the car window. We stood by, watching helplessly, too shocked to do anything.
Someone must have summoned the police and fire brigade because they arrived
within minutes, followed by the ambulance about five minutes later.
Unfortunately, it was a little too late for the poor driver. The flames had
already died down and he was slumped in the car seat. We could not tell if he
was dead or only unconscious.
After the firemen had hosed down the car, they tried opening the car doors
but they refused to budge. Obviously, the
heat from the fire had jammed them shut. The firemen then proceeded to cut
through the metal to get the motorist out. After twenty minutes they got him
out. He was carefully lifted on to the stretcher and quickly put into the
ambulance and rushed to the nearest hospital.
Meanwhile, a bad traffic jam had built up along the road. Police had to control
the traffic. Cones were placed around the blackened car. After half an hour, the
jam eased considerably. We heard later that the motorist had sustained some
serious burns on his face and arms but was out of danger. The cause of the fire
could not be ascertained but was most probably caused by a short circuit.