The home is a place where we spend a large part of our lives. We eat, sleep, play
and do many other activities here. We are familiar with every chair, table, bed
and every little ornament that gives us much pleasure and comfort. A well-maintained home is one where we can go to after a hard day's work and when we
need a place to relax and rejuvenate our spirits.
Yet a comfortable and familiar home is not without danger. In fact, a home
can be a very dangerous place indeed. Consider first the electrical supply to our
homes. There are instances of people connecting too many electrical appliances
to a single socket, for example connecting the refrigerator, washing machine,
iron, and the kettle into one solitary socket using extension plugs. Such
disregard for safety only means one thing -- the fuse will keep on blowing. The
same situation may be even more dangerous in old houses with worn-out wiring
which could easily result in a fire.
Besides this overloading of electrical sockets, other dangers are also present.
Touching an electrical switch with a wet hand is an invitation to an electrical
shock. It is a simple matter of drying the hand, yet in one's haste after using the
bathroom, the hand is often quicker than the brain. This habit must be changed.
Wiring contractors tend to locate electrical sockets near the floor where a
two-year-old can get at it easily. It is advisable to cover these sockets so that.
inquisitive hands do not get at them.
Most modern houses now have concealed wiring in the walls. A careless
do-it-yourself handyman can easily give himself a nasty shock by driving an iron
nail into one of the hidden wires.
Many electrical appliances such as electric kettles, electric irons and cookers
are all potentially dangerous if used carelessly. It is up to the user to recognize
the dangers so that he can safeguard himself.
Another possible source of danger comes from the cylinder of cooking gas
that is present in almost all kitchens. The cylinder is made of sturdy metal and
can withstand a lot of abuse. Nevertheless there is a limit to the abuse it can
take. Users who connect sub-standard cylinder-heads to the cylinder and users
who bump the cylinders around are all asking for trouble. There are cases of gas
cylinders exploding resulting in death and serious injury. A little care on the part
of the user can prevent dangerous accidents from occurring.
Knives, scissors, can-openers and other sharp instruments are also sources
of danger. In any hospital one can see a lot patients seeking treatment for cuts
and bruises caused by these instruments. Though great care may be taken while
using these sharp instruments, accidents still may happen. One cannot
guarantee that a knife will not slip while cutting vegetables or that a plate will
not break while it is being washed. Other dangers include slippery floors,
protruding nails on walls, non-drinkable liquids in unlabelled bottles, broken
furniture, uncovered food, unboiled water and many other things. These items
may not be dangerous until accidents happen. There is danger everywhere. We
can only recognize potential dangers and take the necessary precautions to
prevent accidents from occurring in the home.